Exporting CSV issue

Grant Mitchell

Hi. Any help would be very gratefully received!

We are trying to export a visual as a CSV, and running into various issues.

1)

We need to use the pipe "|" symbol as the delimiter - but when we export, we can only save using the comma or semi-colon CSV types with no choice over the symbol. Is it possible to make that change somewhere

2)

Because we cannot seem to export using the "|" we came up with an alternative solution - with its own issues. We created a single field which is a concatenation of the various fields required with the "|" contained within the string.

Example: Concatenate([Field 1],"|",[Field 2],"|",[Field 3])

These various individual fields contain some comma ( , ) and quotation ( " ) symbols within them, which is affecting the exported CSV by causing additional quotation ( " ) symbols to appear at the start and end of the line items containing the original comma or quotation - and another set of quotation marks appearing around the underlying quotation marks in the data. This results in the system receiving the CSV file rejecting the import.

I hope this makes sense! Does anybody have any thoughts on this please

Thank you,

Grant

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Can you use IronPython scripting If yes, you can export it to csv programatically through an IronPython script. Follow the script in this articleand change the ','in line 29 to '|'.

So, instead of

str1 = ','.join(str(e) for e in line)

it should be

str1 = '|'.join(str(e) for e in line)

I tried this script and it gave me a csv with pipe delimiter. You also might have to change the path in line 12 to a path that exists.

Regards,

Raghav