Spotfire is highly extensible and customizable. It contains a variety of options to extend the core functionality with custom components, customize and automate your Spotfire analyses or even embed Spotfire visualizations into other web applications.
You can extend Spotfire yourself using Spotfire publicly published APIs, download extensions from the component exchange or one of our partners marketplaces, or engage one of Spotfire's partners to create it for you.
The Spotfire platform provides a comprehensive API that let you extend Spotfire's capabilities with custom components, such as tools, visualizations, data sources, data transformations, and much more.
The built-in support for Python and R allows for adding Data Functions, and operations performed on the data, to extend the Spotfire analytics experience. The utilization of existing packages allows for almost limitless creativity and problem-solving.
Don't want to write it yourself? The library contains a comprehensive set of pre-built Python and R Data Functions.
Configure and automate your Spotfire analysis using IronPython scripting. This is a quick and easy way to get started with customizing Spotfire as you don't need to build a custom extension and you don't need any additional tools.
The Spotfire Server provides web services to interact with the Spotfire Library, Information Services, User Directory, and other server components.
- Spotfire Web Services API Overview
- SOAP Web Services API Reference
- Library REST API v1 Reference
- Library REST API v2 Reference (Spotfire 14+)
- Automation Services REST API Reference
The Spotfire Server provides Java APIs to extend and customize authentication models, Information Services data sources, and other server components.
The Spotfire Automation Services API lets you create custom tasks that can be used together with the built-in tasks when running automated jobs.
- How to create an Automation Services Custom Task
- Spotfire Automation Services API Reference
- Spotfire Analyst API Reference
Integrate Spotfire directly into your data workflows and business processes by generating and consuming data in an optimal format for Spotfire.
- Cobranding manual. - Customize the look and feel of the Spotfire clients and the Server administrative interface by replacing the product name, logo, and similar resources with those in your own company profile.
- Create a Custom Login Page - Tutorial showing how to create a custom login page for the Spotfire Server, enabling you to fully customize the look and feel.
- HTML in Spotfire Text Areas - a great way to enhance the look and feel of your dashboards.
- Customize the sample files shown on the start page in Spotfire Analyst - Replace the default sample files with other sample files that may be more relevant to a specific market or user context.
- Spotfire Analyst Command Line Parameter Reference - Configure the launch behavior of Spotfire Analyst using command line parameters.
- Optimizing a dashboard using URL parameters - Use URL parameters to configure what menu options and UI elements to include in a dashboard.
- Configuration blocks - Parameterizing an analysis means injecting parameters into the process of opening the Spotfire analysis file, and optionally configuring the analysis further before it becomes interactive to the user. Both actions are defined in a configuration block.
- The Spotfire Application Profiler is useful for understanding your analysis files. It can iterate over a collection of files and report on them. The Application Profiler is easily extended using IronPython scripting.
- Use Spotfire® Deployment Kit for Apple iOS to customize and deploy a special version of Spotfire for Apple mobile devices.
- With the Python Data Function Extension, users of older versions of Spotfire can still employ Python language in the creation and execution of data functions in Spotfire Data Analyst.
- KNIME and Spotfire - When you need to quickly and easily manipulate, analyze, and distill statistics from data, the combination of Spotfire and KNIME might be something to consider. It gives you the ability to rapidly iterate and visualize your analyses in a code-free environment for improved speed to insight. Further details are on KNIME partner page.
- Starting with Spotfire Statistica 13.4 release, the Spotfire-Statistica Data Function allows you to call Statistica workflows from Spotfire. This empowers citizen data scientists by incorporating predictive analytics, along with sophisticated data preparation and cleaning from your Spotfire dashboard.
- Spotfire Alerting Framework - allows you to configure alerts directly from any Spotfire analysis file and can be used to alert when thresholds or rules on any chart are violated. It is an extension for Spotfire that integrates with Automation Services via an alerting task. The task can generate e-mail, text, or pop-up alerts.
- Spotfire can be extended with natural Language Generation using the Intelligent Narrative Mod. Natural Language Generation is a field of Machine Learning that deals with Natural Language Processing to generate human-like speech. This Mod takes structured data and creates stories with the tone personality & variability of a human being.
- Spotfire can write back to files and databases in different ways using different techniques such as IronPython from a Text Area, Information Links, Data Functions or custom extensions using the Spotifre SDK.
- The integration of Spotfire and BIOVIA Pipeline Pilot allows the creation of workflow-based applications which combine advanced scientific data access and manipulation with powerful interactive visualizations. More information can be found on this page
SpiceUp.Ax is a development framework for Spotfire mashups design and development. It allows developers to extend the Spotfire Platform with Web applications. More information can be found on this page.
- Spotfire components on the Exchange: Download data functions and analysis templates that enable you to easily extend Spotfire capabilities.
- Need some extra help extending and customizing Spotfire? Check out our Spotfire Partner overview for some help near you